Air Source Heat Pump
An air source heat pump (ASHP), also known as an Air to Water Heat Pump, works in a similar way to a Ground Source Heat Pump (GSHP) except that it extracts heat out of the surrounding air instead of the ground. ASHP are not as commonly used within the country as GSHP, but are starting to become more popular as they are considerably cheaper than ground source heat pumps to install.
As with GSHP, ASHP’s are compatible with both radiators and under floor heating systems. An ASHP extracts energy in the form of heat from the outside air in the same way that a fridge extracts heat from its inside, and given the refrigerant in a heat pump boils at between -15C and -30C, there is always energy to be extracted from the air regardless of the weather!
How an Air Source Heat Pump works:
- The heat pumps absorb heat from the air into a fluid
- The fluid is pumped through a heat exchanger in the heat pump
- The system’s refrigeration system extracts low grade heat
- Once it passes through the heat pump compressor, it is concentrated into a higher temperature with can be used to heat water and your homes hot water circuits
If you’re interested in installing an air source heat pump, there’s a few points worth considering, including:
- Given that air source heat pumps work best when producing heat at a lower temperature, your home needs to be well insulated for the heating system to be most effective.
- Due to the lower water temperatures required, air source heat pumps perform better with under floor heating systems compared to radiator-based systems, so you’ll need to take into consideration what type of heating system you’ll be using.
- Air source heating systems can be placed on the ground or, ideally, fitted to a sunny wall. The unit will also need plenty of space around it to get a good flow of air.
Why use ASHP?
- Could lower your fuel bills, especially if you are replacing convectional electric heating.
- Could provide you with an income through Government’s RHI scheme
- Could lower your homes carbon emissions
- No fuel delivery
- Can heat your home and provide hot water
- Needs little maintenance – they care nicknamed ‘fit and forget’ technology.
What we do:
The McInnes Group can design and install the most effective reliable Air Source Heating system, correctly sized and scoped to the latest MCS MIS Standard, to provide the highest possible return on investment whether for a domestic or commercial property.
“Very impressed with the company, delighted with the result and are happy to recommend the company to anyone.....”
A. McInness, Invermoriston