WHAT IS ECO?
Energy companies (who have in excess of 250,000 domestic customers) have a legal obligation to provide support and take part in ECO. It means energy providers including traditional suppliers like British Gas, EDF Energy and Scottish Power must provide funding to help families on low incomes who live in the country’s fuel poorest areas save money by heating and insulating their homes more efficiently.
In order to qualify for a free boiler grant you need to meet certain eligibility criteria:
1. About your home: As long as you own your own home or you are a tenant living in privately rented accommodation (and you have your landlord's permission) you might be eligible for a boiler grant.
2. Your Benefits: The ECO scheme was set up with the intention of helping households on the lowest incomes to improve their energy efficiency and reduce their energy bills. For this reason, you must be in receipt of one of the following benefits to apply:
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax credit
- Income Tax Credit
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment Support Allowance
- Universal Credit
3. Your Boiler: To be eligible for replacement with a new 'A Raed' boiler your existing boiler needs to be:
- Field by gas, oil or LPG
- 8 years old (or older) and operating inefficiently.
How long do I have to apply?
The scheme was originally only set to run until 2015 but due to its popularity this has been extended to 2018.
“Overall we are very satisfied with the systems installed and the professional support of McInnes Plumbing and Heating”
E. Macfadyen, Beauly